Since I moved into my apartment in September, there has been a very annoying empty space on wall right above my bed. Each weekend, I tell myself I’m going to fix that with a picture, poster, painting…ANYTHING. And each weekend I reach into my empty wallet only to find that I have to choose between my Sunday night casserole ingredients or that Mae Chevrette poster to go above my bed. Until my new-found friend pinterest introduced me to toilet paper crafts.
So for about 2 months I saved up toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls (I even asked my mom to save hers for a while and bring them to me next time she visited). So last weekend, I finally decided that it was time to craft my tp roll piece of art. I spent about $7 on spray paint and primer (mostly because I had a lot of different colored rolls and I wanted the paint to look the same on all the rolls / I was expecting the cardboard to just absorb the first 3 coast of paint), and the rest of the project costs $0! I did have to invest in a hot glue gun earlier this month so I had just bought one for $10 or so. TECHNICALLY then, I suppose the project is $17 if you don’t already have a glue gun. Additionally, my mistake tip #1- don’t waste your money or time with the primer…especially if you paint your TP creation gold! So tops the project is $17, and least $3.50 for the can of spray paint you choose….either way, not too shabby for some wall art. Plus, it was a lovely weekend project!
First, I cut each TP roll into fourths and each paper towel roll into eighths by flattening the rolls and cutting them with scissors.
Then, I flattened each fourth even more, creating as many TP flowers of 4 petals each ( as seen below) I usually could just put one thick application of hot glue on one of the petals and stick all four together by holding the flower in place for a few seconds. I saw a lot of other blogs suggest using tacky glue held together with clothespins overnight. I’m sure that works, too! But I’m far too impatient to wait overnight for glue to dry…I definitely found the hot glue to be sufficient.
Then, I started placing all my flowers in different patterns and designs, ultimately deciding upon the below diamond/square design. I started with one flower at the bottom of the diamond with a petal facing perpendicular to me, then built it upwards with a row of 2, then a row of three, a row of 2 on top of that and one more flower at the top. Then I just glued any touching petals you see below with hot glue the same way I glued the flowers!
Once my diamond/squares were glued together and dried, I dragged them outside and applied 2 coats of the primer, waited 30 minutes, then applied 3 coats of a metallic gold spray paint at 20 minute intervals. I let them dry for about 2 hours. It’s a bit tough to get an even coat on the inside of the petals, which is why it took 3 coats…if you’re a better spray painter than me you can probably get it done in 2 coats!
Once they were dry, I couldn’t wait to hang them on my annoying empty wall! After some debating as to what design/order to hang them in, I nailed 3 nails into my wall and you can see the finished product below!! (instagramed, of course)
They’ve been done for over a week now and I still squeal when I walk into my room and no longer see a boring annoying white wall above my bed! It’s hard to believe they’re just toilet paper rolls EVERY time I look at them!
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know! I enjoyed this little project and will do it again if I ever had a boring annoying white wall to fill.
Stay tuned for my next craft project post-holidays!! (I can’t give away the project without giving away my boyfriend/family/friends’ presents this year)